Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Clumsey Gene

It's really amazing what actually passes down from generation to generation. My mom has some amazing qualities - she's logical, a great hostess, good at math and has nice skinny legs. Did I gain any of these positive attributes? Maybe the logic, but it's a big fat no on the others! What did I inherit...the clumsy gene. Yes, my mother has a tendency to trip and fall down...in the most inconvenient places. I didn't think I had this gene until I fell down the stairs holding Emme and Quinn while on vacation in the Outer Banks...and have subsequently fallen down a flight of stairs about once a year for the next 4 years.

Unfortunately, I have also passed this gene on to my lovely daughters. This became evident with Sam this weekend. Yesterday, she was trying to multitask - like her mother - by drawing with chalk on the driveway, watering the plants and pointing at the dog across the street all at the same time. She fell on the concrete and, don't ask me how, completely ripped off her fingernail. I mean gone...totally. After dry-heaving for a few seconds, I was able to clean it, smother it with neosporin and cover it with a healing Dora Bandaid. She got through that trauma and I thought all was well...until she took a header in the Home Depot today and split her lip wide open. Poor thing...at least she still has a chance to inherit those skinny legs from Byya!


Sam's "Dodo" Bandaid (Translation = Dora)

No comments:

Post a Comment